While your ultimate goal is to create the best website possible for the topic you are covering, you also need to determine how the website will make you money.
This is a very important stage, because you need to really sit back and think outside the box for this one. If you were building a website dedicated to wrestling video games – well, the obvious one is by selling wrestling video games on the website. Reviews and previews of wrestling video games, with links to Toys R Us or whatever.
However there’s many more methods for that website to make you money. You have to think about your target market, and what they like. They like video games, and they like wrestling. So you could market the following to them:
- Wrestling merchandise, t-shirts, replica belts etc.
- Wrestling DVDs & CDs.
- Tickets to WWE Events, even promote hotels in the area.
- Sell advertising to the likes of Wrestling Observer/Figure Four.
- Reviews and news of other video games that wrestling fans may be interested in.
- Wrestling books & reviews.
- Information about wrestling schools; sell ad space to wrestling schools.
- Official strategy guides for wrestling games.
- Links to sportsbooks who offer WWE betting events. Yep, there’s some out there that do that.
- Wrestling tournaments online. People pay a buy-in, winners get 90% and you keep the 10%.
These are just ten of many potential ideas for a wrestling video game website. You don’t have to implement all these ideas immediately, but it’s a good idea to have these thoughts in your head going forward with your website.
It’s very important to identify your visitors, while keeping an opening mind. Don’t think about what a wrestling video game fan wants from your website; think about what a wrestling video game fan wants in general, then market to them based on that.